Thursday, November 21, 2013

Cheer Homework

I just read that to be a good athlete you need to be a student of your sport. At first I didn't understand what it meant. Then it hit me. It means that to be a good athlete you need to study your sport. Football players do this I know. They have their games recorded and after the game the coach goes through the plays highlighting what they did well or poorly. The coach uses the video as a learning tool so the athletes can see what they did wrong. I've wanted to do this with my squad for years but it never got accomplished. I want to take the videos as a learning opportunity to the next level. I want to have my girls do cheer homework. What is that? Well I was thinking of having the girls watch YouTube videos on something they are struggling with, like a jump or a stunt. Or maybe have them e-mail me a YouTube video and time in it of a stunt they would like to try. Or a dance that is cute. Maybe have the girls send me music suggestions for the next dance. I want their brains constantly thinking of cheer. Everything in their life should revolve around it or they aren't dedicated enough. If you aren't dedicated enough to be a student of cheer, then why are you involved in the sport? This sport requires immense passion and I ask that of my athletes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment