Wednesday, February 6, 2013

First Off...

I want to get this out of the way now: I do not believe in competitive cheerleading. If you don't like my opinion and are just going to hate, you can leave now because sideline cheering is what I know and that is what I am going to write about. My reasoning for not liking competitive cheering is that I do not think that doing tumbling passes, dancing, and stunting for a few minutes constitutes as cheerleading, but I have always been strictly a sideline cheerleader. I understand that competitive cheerleading takes a lot of hard work, but that doesn't change how I feel about it. Sorry. My type of cheerleading is pumping up the crowd at a game, not doing gymnastics; although, I should say that my squad did not have any gymnasts. We danced at pre-game and sometimes at quarters and timeouts, but not a lot. We liked to (this is a concept) CHEER, and stunt. I only think that tumbling is acceptable to ACCENT a cheer, not to be the focus of it.

I do think that it is good to have a background in gymnastics (I don't). It helps with flexibility, balance, and strength, and it will make you an overall better cheerleader. I also think that you should have a background in dance, so it is easier to pick up the cheers and dances (I don't). OK, I feel like at this point no one thinks I am qualified to talk about cheerleading, let alone be one. You can just shut your mouth now. I started cheering my freshman year with no background in gymnastics or dance and still was able to become captain, because I worked my ass off to get on the level of everyone else. I will say that I never had good jumps. I couldn't get over the fact that I had to pop my hips out of place to do it well. But I made sure that I popped my motions and was tight. I practiced dances, sidelines, and cheers over and over and over again until I knew I had it. I always made sure that I kept working on a stunt until it was perfect. Once I knew everything I helped the new girls learn the material. I took one girl under my wing when she was in the same position as me, a freshman with no cheer background. She exceeded my expectations and is the current captain. She is filling my shoes with the best of her ability, she has her flaws but I'll discuss that later.

-Cheer Strict

No comments:

Post a Comment