Saturday, February 2, 2013

In The Beginning, There Was Sideline Cheerleading



I will be the first to say that I was never and will never be Kirsten Dunst in Bring It On. I was a solid base and occasional back spot for seven seasons at my small high school. I graduated last year and so far I am missing cheering like crazy. I have turned into a crazy ex-cheerleader. I go to as many games as I can  just so I can critique my old squad from the bleachers, and lie to them to their faces that they’re doing well. We were never that great, especially the last year. Our main flyer didn’t want to be there, one girl kept skipping practice because she kept faking sick, and then a junior kept trying to take control of my squad and go behind my back to change everything. Senior year, though fun, was miserable at the same time. My squad had gone so downhill from when I first made it on freshman year. My freshman year we had the best coach, great fliers, strong bases, our stunts were awesome, our dances were good. It was just an all-around great squad that year. But after than year it all went to hell in a hand basket.  The next year we had horrible captains who never were on time. Then they finally graduated, but two of the seniors the next year made everyone else miserable. One was a control freak who had trust issues. I learned a lot from her though. Her picky-ness made me picky too, so much of my personal preferences are also hers.The other was just mean and hateful and screamed at everyone all the time. Finally it was my senior year. I was determined to make us great. It didn’t work though. After my freshman year our great coach retired and the assistant coach took over. And as much as I loved her as a person her coaching lacked in almost every aspect. She let us talk the entire practice, she allowed phones during the game, and never pushed us to get anything accomplished. And the worst part was that she didn’t let me or the other captain take control of the squad and get things accomplished and perfected. What I did take away from my cheerleading was that I learned what is and isn’t right in cheerleading. My first squad and coach taught me so much. They shaped me as a cheerleader and taught me the right and the wrong way to do things and how to and how not to act in uniform. It is with this knowledge that I feel like I am qualified to help you learn what is and is not what to do as a sideline cheerleader and throw in a little commentary here and there. I hope I can help and I hope you enjoy.  But just a warning I am pretty picky about what is and isn’t right.

-Cheer Strict

No comments:

Post a Comment