Thursday, March 21, 2013

Coaching is My Passion

I really want to coach. It is something that I think I will do well at. I was not the best cheerleader. My jumps were not very good. My friends say I dance like a spazz (I beg to differ). But I know exactly how these things are supposed to look like. I helped my girls get better, and I was damn good at it. I want to coach at my high school, but I am at college an hour and a half away. If I coached at school, I would only be around Sunday evening to Friday afternoon. I would also only be at school August to May. I wouldn't be able to coach during the summer (the most crucial time for learning) and I wouldn't be around for camp. That is just unacceptable. I have to be able to dedicate most of my time to cheer if I am going to coach, and I am unable to do that at the moment. So, I will have to hold off on my dream.

I will coach eventually though. If I do not make a plan now for it while cheer consumes my thoughts all day long I feel like I will forget everything that I know. I want to remember the problems that my squad had so I can avoid them when I am a coach.

If I were a coach:
Practice:
We will have practice Monday through Thursday and every other Saturday. Practice will be held on the basketball court during basketball season and once a week on the football field during football season. (My high school rarely let us on the basketball court or the football field to practice, but when we did it really helped me with appropriate spacing and what not). ABSOLUTELY NO PHONES OUT DURING PRACTICE. If I give you my full attention and dedication I expect my girls to do the same. Practice will be from 5 PM until 7:30 PM Monday through Thursday and from 7 AM to 10 AM every Saturday. If a game is scheduled for a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday the cardio and weight training for that week will be replaced by the practice that is being missed. Being late or not ready for practice will not be tolerated. For every minute you are late that is a lap you will run. A flyer hits the ground EVER the entire stunt group will run laps, do pushups, and burpees.
Monday and every other Saturday practice will consist of weight training and cardio. http://www.livestrong.com/article/106777-weight-room-workouts-cheerleaders/ is a good example of what I will have my girls do. I will have my girls do the Hip Hop Abs video workouts. I find them helpful when thinking about new dance moves and it is a fun cardio workout.  I also expect my girls to run on the treadmill and elliptical. These cardio exercises are acceptable http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/cardio/our-best-cardio-workouts/?page=9 If you would like to do a workout other than those that I have suggested, bring the workout to me to approve. Cheerleaders are expected to wear black cheer shorts, white T-shirt or sports bra, white cheer shoes, and bow of their choice.
Tuesday and Wednesday will be dedicated to dancing, cheers, and putting together what we will be doing for games. The stunts that will be used during that week's game(s) will also be practiced. Cheerleaders are expected to wear red shorts, gray T-shirt or sports bra, white cheer shoes, and bow of their choice.
Thursday will be used for stunting. The time will be spent learning new stunts and perfecting stunts that are already known. Cheerleaders are expected to wear and color of shorts, sports bra or cheer related T-shirt, white shoes, and bow of their choice.
Every other Saturday will be used for fine tuning what we already know. This time can be spent working on motions, jumps, stunting, cheers, school song, anything that I see that needs improving. Cheerleaders are expected to wear black cheer shorts, white T-shirt or sports bra, white cheer shoes, and bow of their choice.
Warm ups will consist of these exercises: http://www.shape.com/celebrities/celebrity-workouts/nfl-cheerleader-workout  and these stretches: http://cheerleadinginfocenter.typepad.com/cheerleading_info_center/stretching.html including jumps and kicks. 

Team Bonding:
After every other Friday game it is the captain's responsibility to have a team building activity planned. This can consist of eating out, sleep overs, games, etc. But it must happen. Cliques will not be tolerated on my team. If I feel like you are leaving someone out I will not hesitate to bench you. You are a team, I expect you to act like it. If I hear any form of drama among my girls I will start benching girls. Leave your drama at the door.

Games: 
Girls will arrive ready for the game an hour and a half before it starts. We will stretch, jump, and kick to warm up. We will then go over the dances, timeouts, quarters, and stunts. I will make sure that the athletic director knows that the student section needs to keep an appropriate distance from the cheerleaders during starting lineup. (My school's student section encroached on our space and nearly made our stunts fall every game. I will not tolerate it as a coach.) Phones can be taken out during half time and after the game. No exceptions. Refrain from talking during games. Yell loudly. If you stop doing your motions full out you can sit out the rest of the game and the next game. If you are caught practicing cheers where the crowd can see you will run laps at the next practice. If a flyer hits the ground EVER the entire stunt group will run laps, do pushups, and burpees at the next practice. Cheerleaders are expected to cheer at least once every other play during football, every play when the game is close, and at least once every minute during a basketball game. Do not ask if you can put your poms down at a game, the answer is NO. I will have a clip board and recording everything you do wrong to fix next practice.
Attire: Hair is to be worn all up, no exceptions. Do not ask if you can wear it half up, because the answer will be NO. Hair is to look presentable: in a high pony, either spiral curls or straight, with a poof. Your bow will be facing forward. Cheer shoes are only to be worn at basketball games and practices. For football games you are to wear old cheer shoes. If I catch you wearing your new shoes outside you will run laps. Makeup should be modest. Red lipstick and excessive glitter are for hookers and strippers, not cheerleaders. Nails can only be painted school colors or silver glitter. Silver glitter is the only color allowed. On game days cheerleaders are required to wear the designated outfit; be it dress-up, a certain cheer shirt, certain colors, etc. It will be determined the week of the game and written on the cheer board.

Cheer Board:
The times of the next games, when to arrive at the games, what uniform to wear, which bow to wear, etc. will be written on the cheer board. The cheer board will be a white board located in a place that is to be determined. This information will also be posted on the school's cheer Facebook and Twitter accounts, text to you, and e-mailed to you and your parents. If you show up to a game without the things that were posted on the cheer board you will sit out the game and run laps the next practice. There is no excuse for pure laziness.

Requirements and Tryouts:
I require a strong love of the sport, a strong desire to learn more, and a strong desire to be the best you can be. It is possible to start cheering with absolutely no experience and I am willing to take on any girl who thinks she has what it takes to cheer. Cheering, dance, and tumbling background are appreciated but not required. Each girl will demonstrate sidelines, cheers, dances, jumps, motions, and tumbling at tryouts. Tryouts will be held the week after the last Winter sporting event and practices will begin immediately. Any person moving into the school district must wait until the next available tryouts. Captains will be chosen by a vote from the cheerleaders, but ultimately it is the coach's decision.

Reward/ Punishment System:
I prefer the demerit system. This page is a detailed explanation of the system. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.universitycitycheerleading.vnsports.com%2Fcachedcontent%2F25349%2Fforms%2FUCHSDEMERIT-MERITSYSTEM.doc&ei=n7JIUbOLFemCygGo7oHQBQ&usg=AFQjCNH9KwKxf18rU3UxqTuVi1LaiF4P_Q

Spirit Signs:
All cheerleaders are expected to complete spirit signs dedicated to that season's sports before each of the sports' competitions. These signs are to be completed outside of practice. Signs may be completed at study tables after homework is completed, at home, or there may be a sign party. It is up to the captains to make sure that the signs are completed. Any cheerleader found not participating in sign making will run laps. As you put up a new sign for a sport the previous one will be taken down so there are never two signs for one sport. The cheerleading sign will be changed after the other signs are done. At the beginning of each season each person participating in a sport will get a sign that goes above their locker. These will be made during the summer or as soon as rosters are available (for Fall sports), Fall break or as soon as rosters are available (for winter sports) and as soon as rosters are available for Spring sports. Signs for major competitions such as county tourney, sectionals, etc. must also be made and have a theme that corresponds with spirit week.

Study Tables:
Cheerleaders are expected to go to study tables after school and before practice for a minimum of 30 minutes. Study tables are to be used to complete homework, study, and tutoring. Any cheerleader that causes disruptions at study tables will run laps. Captains will be in charge of signing girls in and out and documenting that each person on the squad completes school related projects. Cheerleaders may be excused from study tables if they can prove that they do not have homework due the next day (This requires each teacher to sign off that they do not have homework in their assignment book), or if they have a GPA of 3.5/4 .

Cheer Rules:
  1. Hair must be able to put in high pony at all times. 
  2. No jewelry when cheering. 
  3. No stunting without the coach present. Failure to abide by this rule will get you benched.
  4. Cheerleaders will meet at a designated place and will stay together at practices and games.
  5. After a game, cheerleaders are to take off their uniform.  
  6. No PDA in your uniform or you will run laps.
  7. Cheerleaders represent their school, if you are caught doing something that is unflattering in cheer clothes you will be reprimanded. 
  8. Do not chew gum or eat when cheering.
  9. While in uniform, cheerleaders must only drink clear liquids and dry foods.
  10. No unauthorized spectators at practices.
  11. You are expected to stay 15 minutes after the game to have a debriefing.
  12. Nails must be kept short.
  13. If not dressed properly for practice or games you will not be allowed to cheer.
  14. Bring all uniforms, bows, body suits, spanks, etc. to all games in case of a last minute change.
  15. Unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated and will get a cheerleader benched.
  16. Tattoos of any kind are strictly forbiddened and will be punishable by being removed from the squad.
  17. During football season, if it is raining stunting is not allowed.
  18. If wearing warmups at a football game, flyers must roll pants before flying.
  19. Gloves may not be worn during stunting.
  20. Each cheerleader is to know and understand the current cheer guidelines dictated by the AACCA.
  21. No group stunting when the ball is in play.  Partner stunts during free-throws are acceptable.
  22. When a player is injured, cheerleaders are expected to take one knee and be quiet. Anyone caught talking will run laps.
  23. Cheerleaders are not allowed on the court during 30 second time-outs.
  24. Cheerleaders are not allowed on the football field except for half time performances. 
  25. If any basketball team is on the court during the school song, cheerleaders are not permitted to stunt
  26. Being on the court while the ball in play will result in running laps.
  27. No one is to stand under the basket.
  28. Absences from games and practices will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
  29. If unable to cheer the cheerleader is still required to attend all practices and games. She will be required to wear cheer related attire during games, and yell with the squad. She will not be allowed to fraternize with the student section, use her phone, or leave early.
  30. No fraternizing with the student section while cheering.
  31. If a cheerleader misses more than one practice during a week she will not be allowed to cheer at the following game.
  32. Cheerleaders caught drinking, smoking, doing drugs, or partaking in sexual relations will be dismissed from the squad.
  33. Any extenuating circumstances will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
  34. All talking during the stunt should come from the coach or the backspot. Anyone caught talking other that those people will run laps.
  35. All school rules must be followed at all times. 
  36. When cradling the stunt group is to hold for 2 counts and gracefully "dump" flyer in front. If your pony's don't flip you aren't doing it right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment