Friday, March 22, 2013

We Are A Team Sport, So Act Like It

All through high school my squads had a hard time working together. The upper- classmen wanted to control everything and they wouldn't even take suggestions from a freshman or sophomore. As a captain I tried really hard to ask all my girls what they wanted out of the squad and what they thought we should do, but it was hard. I am a control freak and asking for other peoples' opinions was irritating to me, but I did it. I am taking a leadership class right now and it is teaching me what I did wrong as the leader of my squad. Hopefully it will help me in the future as I try to become a coach, and you can learn from my mistakes.

An overview of what my class is going over right now is:
  • Work as a team.
  • Use everyone's strengths to their full potential and improve upon everyone's weaknesses.
  • Put all of your energy into what you are doing with the team.
  • Don't gender discriminate.
  • Trust your team members.
  • Don't be afraid to argue with team members.
  • Don't let the team get too large.
  • Have strong leadership.
  • Have a rewards system.
The last month of my junior year I made out a list of everything I wanted to do to help my squad when I became captain. I am sad to say that next to nothing was accomplished on that list. I am not saying that I gave up on my squad. I am saying that my coach refused to let the captains do anything about how unruly our squad had become. Our practices consisted of us all sitting around talking. Sometimes it was about cheer and how we could improve but most of the time it was drama and random stuff about school. My coach was always at the center of it. How is an 18 year old supposed to get her coach to shut up and practice? I couldn't, and my squad suffered greatly. Our coach allowed phones out at practices and games. I tried to reprimand a girl for using her phone during the game and I was the one who got in trouble. Seriously? That is just wrong. I have never forgiven my coach or the girl that was constantly texting during the games. It is completely reasonable to be able to put your phone away for a few hours so we can practice and focus on the game.

My list of things that I though would help my squad are as follows:
  • Work on motions often.
  • Practice jumps more often.
  • Work on cheers so everyone knows everything.
  • Work on sidelines.
  • Smile.
  • Practice dances.
  • Choose dance-able music for pre-game.
  • Stop the gossip!
  • Work on stunting so everyone knows every position.
  • Find new and different stunts.
  • Push harder and faster.
  • Get everyone to be able to do a straight up full (Seriously this was a problem...)
  • Start strength training and a cardio workout.
  • Have team time to talk about improvements.
  • No phones out at practice or games.
  • Don't slack off at practice.
  • Keep talking at a minimum at practices and games.
  • No boy drama.
  • Display sportsmanlike conduct at games.
  • Explain that yelling derogatory chants with the student section is not acceptable.
  • Have fun but be serious.
  • Remember that cheerleaders are always being watched and picking your wedgies, practicing, and goofing off in front of the crowd will be noticed.
  • Be prepared for games at the right time meaning bows are in, hair is done, shoes are on, contacts in, makeup done, uniform on.
  • Make sure that everyone dresses up for game day at school.
  • Dressing up means wearing dress pants or skirt (no jeans) with a dressy top like a cami with jacket or a nice sweater (no shirts with writing) and dress shoes like flats of heals (no sneakers).
  • Start a reward and punishment system.
  • Don't throw fits about making signs.
  • Signs need to be made often.
  • Seniors start dances during pre-game.
  • Have everyone's number so everyone can stay in contact.
  • Make sure you are in your spot after half time.
I feel like a lot of those things that I wrote about junior year are things that most squads already have in place. This tells you about our squad. It was crazy. We sucked. We had zero guidance from the coach and no one ever wanted to be there. We were a hot mess towards the end.

Freshman year we were great. Our coach would have us make about 5 straight lines in front of her and we would do all of our cheers, sidelines, dances, motions, and jumps in front of her and if someone didn't look like everyone else and stuck out she would make that person do it again while everyone was watching. It was stressful. I was always the one that had to do it in front of everyone. It made me a better cheerleader because of it.

The coach we had sophomore through senior year didn't do that for the new girls. It wasn't just their loss though, it affected the entire squad.  Why didn't I think of doing it for my girls last year though? I suppose you can always reflect on things that you wish you should/could/would have done. My senior year I could have made a difference and I didn't. My girls didn't want to be there though, and you can't make anyone do something they don't want to do. A team is only as good as it's weakest link. I have been the weakest and the strongest on my squad.

You have to push yourself to improve. You have to put in twice the work as everyone else and you still may not be the best on your squad. That is when you work even harder. And once you are on top, reach down and help everyone who isn't as good as you so they can have the dream of becoming you one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment